Cherry Rhubarb Crunch
This recipealong with a bundle of rhubarbwas given to me by my husband's grandmother when we were first married. I had never cared for rhubarb, but after trying this dessert, I changed my mind. Now my children dig in, too!
12-15 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour and salt; stir
- well. Cut in butter until crumbly. Pat 2 cups of mixture into a
- greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; cover with rhubarb. In a
- saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water; cook until
- mixture is thickened and clear. Stir in extract and cherry filling;
- spoon over rhubarb. Combine nuts with reserved crumb mixture;
- sprinkle over cherries. Bake at 350° for about 40-45 minutes.
- Yield: 12-15 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 294 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium,