Cherry Gelatin Salad
This pretty, molded salad was always on my birthday menu. I love the chunks of banana, the cherry flavor and the festive red color. It's ideal for holiday menus. —Joann Jensen (daughter), Lowell, Indiana
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Additonal sliced banana and chopped pecans, optional
- Drain cherries, reserving liquid in a 1-cup measuring cup; add enough
- water to measure 1 cup. In a small saucepan, bring mixture to a
- boil. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in
- cold water and lemon juice.
- Cover and refrigerate until syrupy, about 40 minutes. Fold in the
- bananas, pecans and cherries. Transfer to a 6-cup mold coated with
- cooking spray. Refrigerate until firm.
- Unmold onto a serving platter. Garnish with additional banana and
- pecans if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup (calculated without garnish) equals 169 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 35 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.