Cherry Coffee Cake
This is a perfect casual dessertand hopefully there is a piece left over to have with a cup of tea the next morning! The recipe calls for a cake mix and yeast, which is rather unusual, but the results are wonderful.Gail Buss, Westminster, Maryland
12-16 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size), divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups cake mix, flour, yeast and water
- until smooth. Stir in eggs until blended. Transfer to a greased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Gently spoon pie filling over top.
- In a small bowl, place remaining cake mix; cut in butter until
- crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on
- a wire rack. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, corn
- syrup and enough water to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over
- warm coffee cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.