Cherry Chip Scones
These buttery scones, dotted with dried cherries and vanilla chips, are so sweet and flaky that I even serve them for dessert.
-Pamela Brooks, South Berwick, Maine
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1-1/3 cups dried cherries
- 2/3 cup white baking chips
- Coarse sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking
- soda. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine yogurt and 1/4 cup milk; stir into crumb mixture just until
- moistened. Knead in the cherries and chips.
- On a greased baking sheet, pat the dough into a 9-in. circle. Cut
- into eight wedges; separate wedges. Brush with remaining milk. If
- desired, sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or
- until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 543 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 410 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.