Cherry Barbecue Sauce
"You can use fresh or frozen cherries to make this flavorful barbecue sauce. It tastes great on ribs and chicken!"Ilene Harrington, Nipomo, California
18 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen dark sweet cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic;
- cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook,
- uncovered, over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until cherries are
- tender and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Yield: about
- 3-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3 tablespoons) equals 74 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 184 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.