- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into thirds. On a floured surface, roll each
- third into a 15-in. x 6-in. rectangle.
- Place each on a greased baking sheet. Spoon a third of the filling
- down the center of each rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide
- strips 2 in. into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating
- strips at an angle across filling. Seal end. Cover and let rise
- until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cover with
- foil if browning too fast. Cool.
- Combine sugar and milk; drizzle over bread. Garnish with cherries
- and apricots if desired. Yield: 3 loaves.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 177 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.