For more than 40 years, Ada Rost, Hernando, Florida, has included this treat in her Christmas baking, much to the delight of her family. "Sometimes, I do alter them," she admits. "Instead of almonds, I'll use pecansand everyone seems to like those as well."Ada Rost, Hernando, Florida
30 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 60 red and/or green candied cherries
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture
- and mix well. Stir in almonds.
- Roll 1 teaspoon of dough around each cherry. Place on greased baking
- sheets. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool slightly; roll in confectioners' sugar.
- Yield: 5 dozen.