Cherries in the Snow
Dried Oregon cherries soaked in rum dot this light, creamy rice pudding. We developed this recipe for our guests with dietary concerns who still want a treat. Sugar-free and fat-free. What’s not to love? —Barbara Sidway, Baker City, Oregon
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min. + chilling
- 6 cups fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup uncooked arborio rice
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free whipped topping
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, rice and sugar substitute.
- Scrape seeds from vanilla bean; add bean and seeds to milk mixture.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes
- or until rice is tender and pudding is thickened, stirring
- Transfer to a small bowl; discard vanilla bean. Stir in the cherries,
- rum and salt. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Fold in whipped
- topping before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 248 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 209 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.