Cheesy Zucchini Medley
My family can hardly wait for zucchini to ripen in summer so I can make this casserole. With rice, sausage and vegetables, it's a hearty meal-in-one.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3-1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces process American cheese, cubed, divided
- Cook rice according to package directions; set aside. In a large
- skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink and
- onion is tender; drain. Stir in zucchini, tomato, mushrooms, salt,
- pepper, 6 oz. of cheese and rice. Spoon into a greased 11-in. x
- 7-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 20
- minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Top with remaining cheese;
- return to the oven until cheese melts. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 269 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 700 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.