Cheesy Spinach Casserole
This quiche-like casserole from Marilyn Paradis of Woodburn, Oregon is a wonderful way to include good-for-you spinach in your menu. Made with eggs and reduced-fat cheese, the easy-to-cut side dish would be a welcome addition to a breakfast or brunch buffet.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In
- large bowl, combine the eggs, egg white and spinach. Stir in the
- cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, flour, salt and onion mixture. Pour
- into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer
- reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving equals 199 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 440 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.