Cheesy Potato Soup
We like to eat hot bowlfuls of this cheesy soup often throughout the winter. It sure warms you through on a cold and dreary day.Doris Self, Greensboro, North Carolina
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1-3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cover and
- simmer until potato is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Mash mixture with a potato masher. Combine cornstarch and milk until
- smooth; gradually add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until
- melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving equals 199 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 153 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 meat, 1 fat-free milk, 1/2 starch.