Cheesy Onion Quick Bread
"I like to make this bread ahead, then slice, wrap and freeze it," says Davona Henderson of Bountiful, Utah. "When I'm ready to serve it, I just heat up slices at the last minute."
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; set
- aside. Place biscuit mix in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk egg
- and milk. Stir into the biscuit mix just until moistened. Stir in
- the onion mixture, 1/2 cup cheese and poppy seeds.
- Transfer to an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Drizzle with butter. Bake at
- 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean and loaf is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes
- before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in
- the refrigerator. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutrition Facts: One slice equals 115 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 275 mg sodium,