Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup
When I'm in the mood for comfort food, I prepare a pot of this soup. It is always a treat on a cool fall day.Melissa Sherlock, Omaha, Nebraska
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped
- In a saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil. Cover and cook for
- 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking
- liquid; set potatoes and liquid aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute ham and onion in butter until onion is
- tender. Stir in the flour and pepper until smooth; gradually add
- milk and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for
- 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese,
- broccoli and reserved potatoes; cook and stir until cheese is melted
- and soup is heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 334 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 614 mg sodium,