Cheesy Cream of Asparagus Soup
Kids may not want to try a vegetable soup, but once they spoon up a mouthful of this cheesy variety, the flavor will keep them coming back for more.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen cut asparagus
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare asparagus according to package directions; drain and set
- aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth;
- gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Pour half of the milk mixture into a blender; add half of the
- asparagus. Cover and process until blended. Strain and discard pulp;
- return soup to the saucepan. Repeat with the remaining milk mixture
- and asparagus. Stir in the cheese, hot pepper sauce, salt and
- pepper; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 261 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 852 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.