Cheesy Chive Crisps
"These snack bites are great to keep on hand for guests," says Eve McNew of St. Louis, Missouri. Since the recipe makes a lot, you might want to freeze some of the cheese logs for future use. Be sure to thaw them in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours before slicing and baking.
54 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Dash garlic salt
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cheese until light and fluffy. Beat
- in the flour, chives, salt, pepper sauce and garlic salt. Stir in
- cereal. Shape into four 6-1/2-in. x 1-1/2-in. logs. Wrap in plastic
- wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until edges are crisp and
- lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in the
- refrigerator or freezer. Yield: about 9 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 73 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.