Cheesy Chicken Subs
I've been part of the Food Services staff at Appalachian State University for 33 years. One summer we created this flavorful sandwich that combines seasoned grilled chicken, Swiss cheese and sauteed mushrooms and onions. Thousands of students have enjoyed this wonderful sub since then.
-Jane Hollar, Vilas, North Carolina
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 envelope Parmesan Italian or Caesar salad dressing mix
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 submarine buns, split and toasted
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Place chicken in a large bowl; sprinkle with salad dressing mix. In a
- large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil for 3 minutes. Add
- chicken; saute for 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Spoon mixture onto roll bottoms; top with cheese. Broil 4 in. from
- the heat for 4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace tops.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 709 calories, 29 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 1,478 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 35 g protein.