Cheese-Topped Vegetable Soup
Just-picked garden flavor makes this hearty vegetable soup a summer staple for Anna Minegar in Zolfo Springs, Florida. “It warms the soul,” she explains.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup salad croutons
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until
- heated through and vegetables are tender.
- Ladle the soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with croutons and
- cheese. Broil 6 in. from the heat until cheese is melted. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 160 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 1,222 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein.