Cheese-Topped Meat Loaves
This is one of my favorite entrees for two. I found this tender meat loaf recipe in a supermarket’s cookbook almost 20 years ago and have enjoyed it ever since. Sometimes I substitute ground turkey or chicken for the ground beef or make extra loaves to freeze for later meals. –Lois Kinneberg, Phoenix, Arizona
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup picante sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, 2 tablespoons picante sauce, oats,
- onion, chili powder and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix
- well. Shape into two 4-in. x 2-in. loaves.
- Place in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6
- minutes or until no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads
- Place the remaining picante sauce in a small microwave-safe bowl;
- cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Pour over meat loaves.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and microwave on high for 45 seconds or
- until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 323 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 177 mg cholesterol, 581 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein.