"Folks gobble up these taste-tempting stuffed peppers," relates Gay Nell Nicholas of Henderson, Texas. "They have a crisp golden coating, cheesy center and pleasantly spicy flavor. The best part is that no one realizes they are low in fat, too."
9 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 18 jalapeno peppers (about 3 inches long), halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; beat until
- blended. Spoon into pepper halves, packing tightly.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg whites and milk. Place cornflakes in
- another shallow bowl. Dip peppers into egg mixture, then coat with
- cornflakes. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake
- at 350° for 30 minutes or until browned. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (4 appetizers) equals 127 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 441 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.