Cheese 'n' Grits Casserole
Grits are a staple in Southern cooking. Serve this as a brunch item with bacon or as a side dish for dinner.Jennifer Wallis, Goldsboro, North Carolina
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits and
- salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until
- thickened. Cool slightly. Gradually whisk in the milk, butter and
- eggs. Stir in the cheese, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand
- 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 202 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 335 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.