Cheddar Potato Chowder
I only made this soup occasionally because the original recipe was quite high in fat. I doctored it up a bit, using healthier ingredients, and now we eat this rich flavorful chowder more often.
Ellie Rausch of Goodsoil, Saskatchewan
7 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until
- Meanwhile, place flour in a large saucepan; gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add cheese; stir until
- melted. Stir the ham and the cheese sauce into undrained vegetables;
- stir until combined. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 212 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 847 mg sodium,