Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
A sweet potato added to the usual Yukon golds gives these cheesy potatoes a slightly sweet flavor and nice rich color. No one will believe they’re lighter. —Connie Boll, Chilton, Wisconsin
12 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 3-3/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or
- until potatoes are tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Stir in the sour cream, thyme, salt,
- pepper and 1 cup cheese. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with
- cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12
- servings (3/4 cup each).
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 179 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 434 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch,