Cheddar Cheese Sauce
Our Test Kitchen shares the recipe for this speedy sauce that's perfect over vegetables, omelets or any items made tastier with melted cheddar. Surprise your family tonight by drizzling some on baked potatoes. Then use up the extra sauce in the two dishes that follow.
44 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 hot baked potatoes
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and
- pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese.
- Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve 1-1/2 cups of cheese sauce with the baked potatoes. Refrigerate
- remaining sauce. Yield: 5-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 55 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 108 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.