Cheddar Broccoli Soup
Frozen broccoli speeds preparation of Louise’s warm, satisfying Cheddar Broccoli Soup. —Louise Beatty, Amherst, New York
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a
- boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, broccoli, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or
- until heated through. Stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 252 calories, 16 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 750 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.