Chai (rhymes with "pie") is the word for tea in some parts of the world...but in India, it's a spiced milk tea that's becoming more popular in North America. This recipe is just as tasty as any coffee-house chai. Peggy Fleming
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups water
- 2 individual tea bags
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 whole clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream, ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in milk. Return to a boil; boil for 1 minute, then strain. Stir
- in sugar until dissolved. Pour into mugs. Top each with whipped
- cream, cinnamon and a cinnamon stick if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 159 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.