Celery Seed Slaw
A simple cooked dressing gives this crisp cabbage mixture a delightful sweet-and-sour flavor my family savors. When I was a child, my mother used the recipe often, too. It's perfect for potlucks since you make it ahead, then chill it before serving.
-Ronnie Stone, Arapahoe, North Carolina
12-16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 3 pounds medium head cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrot and green pepper;set
- aside. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, salt and
- celery seed; bring to a boil. Pour over cabbage mixture; toss to
- coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Serve with a
- slotted spoon. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 73 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 459 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.