This creamy carrot casserole is always a hit. An easy-to-fix but very special side dish, it goes well with almost any meat or poultry. Even though I serve these dressed-up-carrots often, my family still requests them for Christmas dinner.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 8 cups sliced carrots
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Place carrots in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook until tender. Meanwhile, in a small
- skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Drain carrots; add
- onion, soup, mushrooms and Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with bread
- crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until
- heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 142 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 420 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.