This nice creamy soup really hits the spot...whether you serve it by itself, with sandwiches or as a first course. My family enjoys it often here on our acre in the country.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded Swiss cheese and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the
- broth, carrots and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from
- the heat; cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender; cover and process until blended. Return to
- pan. Stir in the milk, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil).
- Garnish with cheese and parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 217 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 589 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein.