Carrot Raisin Pilaf
"The raisins in this colorful rice pilaf add a touch of natural sweetness, while almonds add fun crunch," relates Lauretta Musser of Apollo, Pennsylvania. "A hint of curry boosts the flavor, too."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch julienne strips
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the water,
- carrots, rice, raisins, bouillon, curry powder, salt and thyme.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or
- until rice is tender. Sprinkle with almonds before serving. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 243 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 733 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.