I got this recipe in a "swap" with one of my sisters. People usually aren't too familiar with lentils, so they'll at first try only a little. Before long, though, they'll ask to have the bowl passed back down so they can take a "real" helping!
We live on a small livestock farmraising goats, rabbits and chickensand I've found this salad's an ideal dish to take out to the field. My h
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, combine lentils, carrots, garlic and bay leaf. Cover
- with 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer 15-20 minutes or
- until lentils are tender. Remove bay leaf; drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for dressing. Pour over lentil
- mixture. Cover and refrigerate several hours. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving equals 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 starch, 2 fat; also, 202 calories, 403 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol, 23 gm carbohydrate, 8 gm protein, 9 gm fat.