Carrot Broccoli Soup
This soup is a staple at our house. It's easy, fast, nutritious and so yummy! —Sandy Smith, London, Ontario
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the onion,
- carrots and celery in butter for 3 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 3
- minutes longer. Stir in 2-3/4 cups milk, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or
- until vegetables are tender. Combine the flour and remaining milk
- until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook 2
- minutes longer or until thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/4 cups equals 168 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 633 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable,