Caroline's Basil Boats
Inspired by her grandfather's garden, Caroline Elswick, 6, created these fresh, simple boats that are always gobbled up in a snap.
Caroline Elswick, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
- Place basil leaves on a serving plate. In a large bowl, combine the
- tomato, carrot and mozzarella cheese; spoon into basil leaves.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese; drizzle with dressing. Yield: 8
Nutrition Facts: 1 filled basil leaf equals 36 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.