Caribbean Bread Pudding
A completely unexpected dessert from the slow cooker, it’s moist and sweet with plump, juicy raisins and wonderful tropical flavors of pineapple and coconut.
16 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 large firm bananas, halved
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (10 ounces) frozen non-alcoholic pina colada mix
- 1 can (6 ounces) unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 1/4 cup light rum, optional
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Whipped cream and maraschino cherries, optional
- In a small bowl, combine raisins and pineapple; set aside. In a
- blender, combine the bananas, milk, pina colada mix, pineapple
- juice, eggs, cream of coconut and rum if desired. Cover and process
- until smooth.
- Place two-thirds of the bread in a greased 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Top with 1 cup raisin mixture. Layer with remaining bread and raisin
- mixture. Pour banana mixture into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low
- for 4-5 hours or until a knife inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 16 servings.