Card Trick Cookies
I've always loved shortbread and enjoy the extra flavor of this lemony version. The dough is well "suited" for cutting out cookies in heart, spade, diamond and club shapes as late-night treats for card players.
18 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a bowl, cream the butter, sugar and lemon peel. Add flour; mix
- well. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Divide
- dough in half. Flatten each portion and roll out between two pieces
- of waxed paper to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-in. cookie cutters
- into desired shapes (such as hearts, spades, diamonds and clubs).
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for
- 15-20 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool on wire
- racks. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 161 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.