Caraway Sauerkraut Bake
If you're a sauerkraut lover, you'll savor this sweet and tangy variation that features stewed tomatoes and bacon. "We enjoy this dish served with ribs, potatoes and corn bread," says Bernice Morris, Marshfield, Missouri.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (one 27 ounces, one 8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- In a skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. Add
- the sauerkraut, tomatoes, brown sugar and caraway seeds. Transfer to
- an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 165 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 859 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.