Caramelized Port Onions
Whenever possible use fresh rather than frozen pearl onions for this savory side. Pair the sweet and colorful onions with a savory meat entree.Erika Szymanski, Pullman, Washington
7 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 pounds pearl onions, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup port wine or grape juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add onions; boil for 3
- minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Add wine,
- stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in remaining
- ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is
- almost evaporated, about 25 minutes. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/3 cup equals 131 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 93 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.