Caramelized Angel Dessert
"This quick-and-easy treat is wonderful," assures Sharon Bickett of Chester, South Carolina. Cake slices, spread with a sweet caramel-like sauce and broiled, get an elegant treatment when topped with sour cream and mandarin oranges.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 6 slices angel food cake
- 1 cup mandarin oranges
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg until blended.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon on the top and sides of each cake slice.
- Place on a baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes
- or until bubbly. Top with oranges and sour cream if desired. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 298 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 377 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.