In my opinion, cookies are the best dessert to make...and to eat! With a crisp outside and chewy caramel filling, these are likely one of my very favorites.
78 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 30 caramels
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and brown sugar until
- light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and maple flavoring. Gradually
- add flour and mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt caramels; stir until smooth. Stir in
- cream cheese until blended; set aside. Divide dough in half. Roll
- each portion between waxed paper to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread
- caramel mixture over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Wrap
- rolls in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on greased
- baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until golden
- brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.