Caramel Pear Crumble
This is the first recipe I turn to after my mother shares juicy pears from her orchard. The down-home flavor of the not-too-sweet dessert is a welcomed alternative to apple crisp. Its crumbly topping and hint to caramel keep friends asking for more.
Karen Ann Bland
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 20 caramels
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 medium pears, peeled and sliced
- Whipped topping and additional cinnamon, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir in butter (mixture will be crumbly); set aside 1 cup. Press the
- remaining mixture into an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, cook and stir caramels and milk
- until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from the
- heat. Arrange pears over crust; spoon caramel mixture over pears.
- Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until the pears are tender and
- top is golden brown. Serve warm. Garnish with whipped topping and
- cinnamon if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 598 calories, 19 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 253 mg sodium,