Caramel Fudge Sundaes
I usually keep a supply of this sauce in the refrigerator at all times so I can make one of these sundaes whenever I crave one. The recipe has wonderful chocolate-caramel flavor and has been in our family for years.
32 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 24 caramels
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream
- Chopped pecans or peanuts, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients in order given.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the caramels are
- melted and mixture is smooth (do not boil). Reduce heat to low. With
- an electric hand mixer on medium speed, beat in vanilla; continue
- beating for 5 minutes. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Remove from the
- heat and cool for 30 minutes (sauce will thicken as it cools). Serve
- over ice cream; sprinkle with nuts if desired. Store in the
- refrigerator. Reheat in the top of a double boiler over simmering
- water. Yield: 1 quart sauce.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 149 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 96 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.