Caramel Apple Jam
I created this recipe one year when I had excess apples. The brown sugar gives the jam a wonderful caramel taste. I'm a retired master baker and cook who enjoys preparing Southern dishes for my wife of 48 years, two sons and five grandchildren.
56 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Process: 10 min.
- 6 cups diced peeled apples (1/8-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a Dutch oven, combine the apples, water and butter. Cook and stir
- over low heat until apples are tender. Stir in pectin and bring to a
- rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add the sugars, cinnamon and
- nutmeg and return to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into
- hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles;
- wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water
- canner. Yield: 7 half-pints.
Nutrition Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 83 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.