These are the perfect garnish for any cake. They look so beautiful and will impress all of your guests at your next party.Bernard Bellin, Franklin, Wisconsin
24 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 dozen wild violets (including stems but not leaves), washed
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Place sugar in a shallow
- bowl. Holding violets by the stem, dip one at a time into egg whites
- and then sugar, covering all surfaces.
- Place in a single layer on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; snip off
- stems. Using a toothpick, separate petals to return to their
- original shape. Sprinkle sugar on any uncoated areas. Dry in a
- 200° oven for 30-40 minutes or until sugar crystallizes.
- Carefully remove violets to wire racks with a spatula or fork.
- Sprinkle again with sugar if violets appear syrupy. Cool. Store in
- airtight containers with waxed paper between layers for up to 1
- week. Yield: 6 dozen.
Editor's Note: Only pick flowers from chemical-free woods or lawns. Also, be sure your blossoms come from the common wild violet, not the
African houseplant, which is inedible.