When I was a girl, Mother made carrots taste more like candy than a vegetable with this recipe. She'd serve them, garnished with parsley, in a pretty bowl. They looked too good to eat - but that didn't stop us!
-Helen Vail, Glenside, Pennsylvania
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- Bring water to a boil in a large skillet; add carrots, cinnamon
- sticks, cumin and ginger. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10
- minutes. Add honey and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Boil,
- uncovered, for 4 minutes or until the liquid evaporates and the
- carrots are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1/2-cup serving equals 78 calories, 0.55 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.