Can't Miss Coconut Custard Pie
This soft custard pie has a mild coconut flavor. Who wouldn't love a hearty slice topped with a dollop of whipped cream?
Betty Swain, Bear, Delaware
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup flaked coconut, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2-2/3 cups 2% milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges.
- Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle coconut over crust; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, flour, vanilla and
- salt. Pour over coconut; sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 322 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 345 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.