California-Style Spanish Rice
Back in the 1920s, my great-aunt Mable lived with her four children in an old World War I army tent. She had to be creative in her cooking, and this was one dish she relied on.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels.
- Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute
- onion until tender. Remove and set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add rice; cook and
- stir until golden brown. Reduce heat; stir in broth. Cover and
- simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the bacon, onion, peppers and
- tomatoes. Cover and simmer 25-30 minutes longer or until rice is
- tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 170 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.