California Roast Lamb
This recipe is very easy to make and requires little attention. It goes well with any rice dish, and it's perfect for just about any occasion.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 leg of lamb (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 to 5 large fresh artichokes, quartered
- Fresh lemon slices
- Cut slits in lamb; insert garlic. Rub meat with salt, pepper and
- oregano. Roast at 400° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°;
- roast 1 hour more. Skim off any fat in pan; pour tomato sauce, water
- and lemon juice over lamb. Place artichokes around meat. Roast 1
- hour longer or to desired doneness, basting occasionally with pan
- juices. Garnish with lemon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 148 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 278 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.