Cake Doughnut Mix
In Queensburg, New York, Diane Terry relies on a nicely spiced combination of ingredients to prepare these delicious doughnuts. They're terrific served warm with hot coffee or cold milk.
24 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch of doughnuts):
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, milk powder, sugar, baking
- powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6
- months. Yield: 2 batches (about 9 cups total).
- To prepare doughnuts: Place 4-1/2 cups doughnut mix in a large bowl.
- Combine eggs, milk and vanilla; stir into doughnut mix just until
- moistened. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 15-20 times. Pat
- dough out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. doughnut