Cajun Corn Soup
I found this recipe years ago and substituted Cajun stewed tomatoes for a bolder taste. Now I prepare this dish for out-of-state guests who want to taste some Cajun food. Everyone who tries it gives it high marks. Plus, it's easy to prepare.
12-14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen corn
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Cajun-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper and green onions in
- oil for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and cook until
- bubbly. Gradually add water; bring to a boil. Add the corn, sausage,
- ham, tomatoes, tomato paste, cayenne, salt and pepper sauce.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Yield: 12-14 servings.