Cabbage Patch Stew
A customer at my beauty salon shared this recipe with me a few years ago. I especially like it because it's hearty and economical. Plus, it makes a big batch. You can take it to various potlucks and be assured of receiving many compliments! - Vera Bouteller, Nolanville, Texas
16-18 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 25 min.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine cabbage and
- onions. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Add the beans, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Drain beef; add to stew. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 2 hours. Yield: 16-18 servings.
Choose green cabbage with crisp-looking leaves that are firmly packed. Avoid heads with withered leaves or brown spots. Refrigerate cabbage, tightly wrapped in a plastic bag, for up to 1 week. One medium head weights about 2 pounds.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 176 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.