Buttery Onion Soup
Several years back, I needed ways to use up 25 lbs. of sweet onionsand this recipe's one I came up with. I like making it for guests. Sometimes, however, I'll fix a half recipe just for me!
My husband and I raise sheep and cattle 8 miles from the Canadian border. We have two children, 18 and 16.
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups (6 to 8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Croutons, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook onions in butter over low heat until tender
- and transparent, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in flour. Gradually add broth and milk; cook and stir over
- medium heat until bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute longer; reduce
- heat to low. Add mozzarella cheese and stir constantly until melted
- (do not boil). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with
- croutons if desired. Yield: 6 servings.